Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Penultimate Shawl Post

Yeah I know, boring title, but it is descriptive. So I'll get the bit about the shawl over first and then perhaps I'll get to talk about other things. Today I cast off the shawl so all the knitting is done - sigh of relief. I still have to darn in the ends and then block it. I'm hoping that the camel yarn won't have any problems with a good soak as that's what I'm going to do. It will need a pretty severe blocking to get it into shape. It isn't particularly crumpled looking, which laceweights tend to be, but it really will need a good stretch in both directions. Anyway here are the penultimate photos.

Sorry I couldn't decide which photo to post and obviously as you can see I had a critic interested in the process. Her opinion hasn't come in yet. I'm out tomorrow so there will be no more progress until Thursday. It is a very dark day and honestly I don't feel like darning in the ends today. The big birthday is Thursday week and it has to be posted off to Aberystwyth but I reckon as long as it is ready, wrapped and in the post on Monday it should be there in time.

















I found a couple of comments to my last post, ladies thank you it is nice to know there are people out there, of course I did give the game away to my friend Katherine knowing she would comment and then to find another comment, well it made my day. I haven't sorted out stuff about getting notified and replying to my comments yet but please don't let that stop any of you leaving me a comment. I will get around to sorting that side of things out so you wll eventually hear from me.

I was going to take a few other photos today even though it is very dark but my camera battery died, I have a spare which I swapped out, got one more photo and it died too. So I'm charging both. What I was going to photograph was the contents of the the first delivery from my sock club for this year. I joined the LOTR sock club run by The Unique Sheep (sorry not links). perhaps it is just as well as I don't know how to work the "spoiler" stuff yet. Anyway I will be casting on for that sock soon, a nice and restful change from the shawl.

I was in town yesterday, I'd been called for my first breast screening as an over 50 so I took in a little shopping and met with an ex work colleague for lunch. My sister had given me a Waterstone's book token as part of my birthday present, I meant to look online but hadn't got around to it so I decided to pay a visit yesterday and have a look. There was a dearth of knitting books but I did manage t find one that was well worth the visit. It is "Vintage Knitwear for modern knitters" by Lise-Lotte Lystrup. A beautiful book and most of the patterns have gone on my "want to knit" list. Lovely updated patterns from the 1930s, 40s and 50s with modern yarns substiuted, I'm really pleased with it.

I think that's all for now folks. I'll be back later in the week and maybe I'll even have the last of the shawl photos, won't that be great I'm sure any of you looking in are getting tired of it and wondering am I going to talk about anything else. Of course I will when I'm not obseesing over getting my sister's birthday present finished. BTW you'll find me on ravelry as amberpearl if you want to pop on over there, there are a few more projects (but not many) written up.

1 comment:

  1. The shawl is beautiful! Mine is coming along slowly. It does seem to take a long time doesn't it? I know it will look different with blocking but I am not in love with it on the needles.

    I will make you a friend on Ravelry. I hope to do more with Ravelry if tax season ever ends.

    ReplyDelete