Sunday, August 9, 2009

Malabrigo - soft, softer, softest

I love Malabrigo yarn. It must be one of the softest yarns I have ever snuggled up to. I have this sweater in my basket of 'resting' WIPs, it's been resting for about 2 years and I had an urge to go back to it as a rest from the shawl. The back was finished and the front was well underway. So I've been working on it again this past week or so and have finished the front. It is of course in Malabrigo, colour Loro Barenquero. You can see the change in the colour striation when the back narrows in at the armholes.



The front has a large central cable, not too easy to see due to the colour. The cable then splits up the neck edges. So where the central cable was 16 stitches, each of the neckline cables is 8 stitches.


The finished neckline is actually a wrapover which is knit as a separate rectangle and then sewn in. It is a Lana Grossa pattern which I have had to size up, their patterns are typically only sized for anorexic runway models.

I own a bought sweater with this same neckline, which I love, so when I came across this pattern I had to knit it for myself. Of course it hadto be done in something so cozy and soft, what better than Malabrigo.

Now for a quick update on other things. First my car passed it's MOT, clear for another year. Just over a week ago we had a thunderstorm in the area and we had a lightening strike which blew out our phone master socket and all the equipment connected into it, which included 2 brand new DECT phones and the modem in our SKY+ box. (Actually it affected more than us and the engineers have been out replacing lines which were melted) We're still watching TV OK but without the modem the box can't dial back so they won't see the box plugged in. Eventually we will get a letter from sky complaining that our 2 boxes are not connected to the same phone line (we have sky multi-room with a really old box in our family room). Maybe it is time to go to SKY HD, probably cheaper to buy a new HD box than cough up for an engineer to fix the existing box. More expense, new phones and new Sky box.

SIL and her husband are visiting for 10 days. Luckily they are staying with MIL as DH has come down with something, came home on Friday evening feeling unwell and has been running a temp all weekend. So no outings with the visitors until he gets better.

So to finish on a brighter note here is a flash of some stash acquired last month.

This is Posh Yarn Diana 2ply (lace) in colour Grotto, it is part of a shawl kit. I also got another skein of Diana in a different colour but I'll save that for another day.

Considering all the expenditure recently, with more to come I'm going to have to go on a strict yarn diet for the foreseeable future. Just lucky I have a large yarn stash to shop from then isn't it.

2 comments:

  1. I told you these things come in threes! LOL! Don't you hate yarn diets? I keep telling myself that the stash is too big and I could find suitable yarn for a project there, but my mind gets set on a certain yarn in a certain color and--well, you know how it is!!

    Like you, I can't say enough good things about Malabrigo. It certainly is the ultimate yarn to my way of thinking. The Meandering Vines shawl I'm working on in apple green Malabrigo is s-o-o-o-o soft I am enjoying the knitting a lot. I do understand the need to take a break though. After knitting the same lace chart pattern over and over my eyes begin to cross. The green shawl is 25 inches into a 74 inch length now and that seems like a lot more knitting to me!

    Hope all is well on your side of the world. Can't wait to see what you do with the Diana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anne

    I know you through Katherine of Comfortknits. I am so very sorry for your husbands passing. I will say prayers for you as you grieve. Many hearts you don't even know are with you and praying for your family now.

    ReplyDelete